Monday, August 4, 2008

Girls Camp 2008

We arrived back from Girls Camp on Saturday. The 3 year-old daughter of one of our leaders ran up to greet us in the church parking lot. Her mom picked her up for a hug and said, "It doesn't look like your dad brushed your hair today. Did he brush it at all while I was gone?"
Her daughter shook her head and said no.
Then the mom asked, "Did he give you a bath while I was gone?"
Again she shook her head and said no Ü.

Ha, Ha, we had to laugh. I do know Deacon was in good hands. He was bathed and walked regularly Ü. He even ate some vegetables while I was gone!
Nate took Deacon to see Aunt Collette on Wednesday and she gave them some vegetables from her garden. Deacon couldn't wait for them to be cooked so he took bites out of them raw.

For camp this year we went to Bear Lake for 4 days. It was fun. In honor of the Summer Olympics, we had our own Olympic theme and tied it into various activities and devotionals. The girls were divided into groups and assigned an "Olympic Village"---aka their tents. They made up the name of their country and a flag to represent themselves. They competed in events like Rock-Paper-Scissors, BB Gun Shooting, and Relay Runs on the beach:
On Thursday we drove to Idaho and hiked to the most beautiful lake at the top of a mountain. It was formed by a glacier and I couldn't believe there was still snow up there in August!

We had 22 girls show up and they had fun....but I think the leaders had more fun. I heard several different complaints each morning at breakfast that the leaders stayed up too late and were loud with their laughing and giggling. Ha, ha. I slept a total of 12 hours over 3 nights. We didn't get up until 8:30 am the last day! I have NEVER been to a Girls Camp where the leaders slept in that late. Even though I was sick the whole time, I'm glad I went. With indoor plumbing and warm showers there wasn't much to complain about!

My favorite part was the "Phrases" game. This had nothing to do with the the Olympic theme, but it was so much fun. I came up with a word/phrase for each girl and she had to try to use it 20+ times a day for all 4 days we were at camp. But she had to try and work it into a conversation so that no one could guess that was her phrase. Some examples were:
Homeskillet
Let's Spice Things Up
Dr. Phil says, _____
Bling-bling
Moo
My personal favorite was the saying, "Aubrey is so awesome." I was listening to the girl who drew it as she tried to work it into every conversation. Meanwhile, everyone is thinking this girl has a crush on me Ü Actually, I take that back. My favorite sayings were the ones we gave to the bishopric when they came up. They had to use phrases like "Precious" and "That really touches my heart." Friday was a full day on the lake with a boat and jet skis. The guy driving the boat kept trying to flip girls off the tubes and wakeboard....all at the same time saying, "That really touches my heart." Needless to say, the girls thought he was crazy until they found out that was his phrase.

We had "closing ceremonies" on Saturday and they handed out medals to everyone. I got the "Don't Bother Me, I'm Reading Award." It kinda made me sad because Nathan reminded me that I get anti-social when I'm into a book :( I didn't think I was reading that much while I was at camp.....until I realized I started and finished a whole book in the first three days, and then started another!



I bought this sun dress for $3.00 to wear over my swimsuit at the lake, but it was too cute so I decided to wear it to church instead!





10 comments:

Gates & Tausha said...

dang girl that dress is SOOOO cute!! and I am LOVING that phrase game...will you be my camp leader? I bet they LOVED it and will remember how FUN that was...totally hilarious!!! they do girls camp dif then here eh?! JET SKIIS!!! how fun!!

Paige said...

That looked WAY fun! I went to teach & help in the kitchen at my stake's GC 2 weeks ago and it was the same story: the leaders were staying up laughing & playing games LONG after the girls had gone to sleep!

I love that phrase game, great idea :D

Brandi said...

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE that dress! So cute!

TexasTwinsTwice said...

such a fun phrase game--i LOVE it! You are soo creative! oH, and this is NOT the kind of Girl's Camp I experienced, how fun. The little bite marks on the veggies are so cute. I'm sure Nathan did a great job of taking care of Deacon while you were gone. i hope you start feeling better ASAP--that stinks!

TexasTwinsTwice said...

oh, and love the dress too--way to go on the good deal--awesome!

Carca said...

Fun game...Gorgeous dress....I agree camp is sooooo different as a leader:)

Anonymous said...

hey your son is too cute.. well i am back and its hot here.. lol.. miss ya guys.. hi..

hdawgy said...

Dang girl that dress is adorable! Especially for only $3! What a deal! You always find the deals! Your girls camp rocks! It looks like you had tons of fun! Also you were in Idaho and you didn't even call me? Whatever! haha

Jami said...

Aubrey, you were born to be a YW leader!!! You're going to be over the entire church's YW in the future. I know I'll be seeing you speaking in conference with the Prophet. Way to freak you out, right? HA HA. But your phrase game was HILARIOUS!!!!! Oh, just HILARIOUS! And the phrases for the bishopric... Classic. I want you to move by me when you come back so we can be in YW together... Only I want to be one of your youth. HA HA. :0)

Justina Selim said...

Eating veggies, wow, can he give Aiden some lessons? Raw too! That's amazing! Girls camp looked like lots of fun! I agree with Jami, you were born to be a YW leader! ALso, LOVE the Sun dress!