Sunday, April 13, 2008

04/13/2008 Dear Diary,

Monday: I usually don't mention Mondays in my journal :,( ---> I think I just made up that emoticon...it's supposed to be a tear drop coming out of a sad eye.

I don't like Mondays because I'm gone for 12 hours and only see Deacon for a few minutes before bed. On the bright side, he gets to hang out with dad all day and they do manly bonding stuff. Last week it was Home Depot, today they worked on the motorcycle. Nathan took these pictures, and since this is his journal too, I uploaded them.

These are the new pipes that UPS delivered. Remember? the ones that were NOT part of the bomb I was building :) Deacon 'helped' install them so Nate's bike is MUCH louder (Nathan says it's more of a "safety" issue so that people hear him and don't pull out in front of him). I think it's more of a testosterone issue.....



Tuesday: We thought we'd see how Deacon does with whole milk.

Got Milk?

Yes. He did manage to get some in his mouth.


We also played a little bit of "dress up." Even though the PJ's I sewed last week were too small for Nathan to wear, they were a perfect shawl for Deacon. To all the babies reading this blog: it's cool to wear your onesie unsnapped and untucked.


Wednesday
: Deacon had his one year check-up with the pediatrician. He loved the carnival mirror. He kept doing his Monkey Crawl (on hands & feet) around the waiting and an elderly woman next to me looked slightly horrified when she asked, "is that the way he's always crawled?"


He loved the office toys (just let me keep believing that these are disinfected daily by an attentive staff member).


He liked looking out their window too:


Notice I didn't take any pictures after he had his shots, because it was so sad :, (

Stats:
Weight-24.4 lbs -75%
Length-31.5 in-91%
Head-49.5 cm-80%

Nathan got a birthday coupon from Red Robin. Later that afternoon, we went there to use it and the gift certificate we won last month. Usually, we're the people that order just a main dish----not even drinks! So it was fun to go all out this time on someone else's tab. We even ordered an appetizer and our own desserts.




Thursday
: For Deacon's birthday, we took him to the bank to open his first savings account. Thanks Grandma Jo for the opening deposit from Deacon's Easter card!

I had a Mother/Daughter Spring Fling Fashion Show for Achievement Days. It was funny because the girls got to 'design' outfits for their mom using trash bags, ribbons, toilet paper, etc.

While at the bank, the general consensus of the employees was that I was mean to even consider making Deacon a bran muffin for his "birthday treat." So I baked him a cupcake with sugary {pinkÜ} frosting. He seemed to REALLY enjoy it:




Friday: Clifford, Heather, and Corbs came to visit Thursday night. They drove all the way from Idaho to celebrate Nate & Deac's birthdays....or maybe they had a flight to catch Friday morning out of Salt Lake : ) Have fun in AZ this week!

Earlier in the week, I asked Nathan what he wanted for his birthday breakfast. He worked all night Thursday. When he came home, there were pork chops with country gravy, hash browns, eggs, and juice waiting for him.

Later that afternoon, I made Joooooooeeee Zumwalt's famous carrot cake for Nate's b-day. I really think this "2" candle was a pretty good investment for us. We've used it twice a year for the last five years, and Deac will be "2" next year : )

On Saturday we went to Delmer and Dolores Smith's 60th wedding anniversary celebration. Delmer "saved" Nathan's life back in 1993. Nate wasn't where he was supposed to be and ended up getting left at church and had to walk home. It was in the Arizona heat and Delmer convinced Nate's dad to go pick him up Ü We signed the guest book as "Representatives for Richard & Joleen Hunt."

Sunday: I was asked to meet with a member of the bishopric. I already have two callings and I've only been in them for six months, so I didn't know what to expect. I was released as RS Pianist and Achievement Day Leader and called as an advisor to the Mia Maids. He asked if I had any leadership experience in the YW program and I just smiled Ü. I've had a nice break these last two years, so I feel refreshed and ready to start anew.

For dinner, I made some hamburger buns from scratch. Not the best idea when your church gets out at 5pm and it is Fast Sunday. By the time they rose (twice) and were done baking, it was almost 8pm when we were ready to eat.

7 comments:

Gates & Tausha said...

OOOH...TOO MANY THINGS TO COMMENT ON!!! First, thanks for your words of relation...I took the post off...decided I'm not sure if I want ALL to read that...:) BUT...thank you...I'm feelin upidy! (sp?) so..."vantrilaquist blower?" ahhaha....so funny...i'm impressed with all your cooking skills...love it..crave it! and deacon's frosting face was my FAVE picture!!! soo funny! yay for the new calling...LOVE YWs...can't wait to serve in there someday again...and you totally gotta post a "monkey crawler deacon" vid!

Carca said...

WHat a great week...did you put on the fashion show yourself???? It looks great..your boys are cute too!

Paige said...

Deacon is sooooo cute... I miss that little guy! :)

And way to go on the hamburger buns; I've had similar experiences with making breadsticks from scratch haha

Ashley and Matt Marx said...

Oh I love the Smith's. Nathan should have walked all the way home. I was really worried about him, knowing that he must be scared and hot.
I made a pink cake for Drew's first birthday.

Justina Selim said...

I love the safety reasons for making bike louder, haha. 12 hours is a long day for you! wow! I had to work when Aiden was younger and it was so hard to leave him, but I felt better about it also because it was good daddy son bonding time. I think it was good for Taylor to get to figure out his own ways to soothe him and stuff like that. I still should work, but ahhh, what's a little more debt, right? haha. Law school is soooo expensive! Anyways, shot appts are so sad! Deacon is the man in the percentiles though! Big boy! Aiden just had his last shot until he is 5! I was way excited to get that out of the way! I love your achievement day activity! What a great idea!

TexasTwinsTwice said...

I LOVE reading about your week! You did a lot. Glad Nate has another safety feature on his bike, not sure if it's as good as a seatbelt, but it's a step. Love Dr.'s office nasty toys--not. Love Deacon's fashion onesie fashion statement, but his cousins totally beat him in the weight dept! Bran muffin for b-day cake???!!!! okay, i've thought about doing that before too =) And congrats on the new calling--you'll be GREAT! love ya!

Mom Gavin said...

Anything to help the safety of the motorcycle....pipe even. I wanna monkey crawl video! What a tall boy...wonder if his mom is 5'12"???
The Spring Fling was a great way to go out of Achievement Day in glory! Great idea. Welcome to Mia Maids (again)! Lucky girls!!!