Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Happy 'Birth' Day Deacon Shane Hunt!

Early April

Nathan is very concerned that I write down the details and events surrounding Deacon's birth....before I ''forget''. Obviously, he has never given birth before because it is not something that is easily forgotten Ü Nevertheless, here is a looooong and word-for-word account from Deacon's journal:
I'm so happy (because I have an epidural) to be a mommy!

Things really started to get going on Monday morning (April 9th), I had an appointment with my doctor and even though she didn't say, I have a feeling she "swept my membranes" which is supposed to release hormones to get labor going. I noticed within a few hours that I was having a lot more involuntary tightening of my uterus. Then, later that night I hooked myself up to my breast pump, because I heard that stimulation can get things going too Ü The of course, good ol' Italian Induction (or as the Bennett's say, "the way in is also the way out"). We went to bed around 10pm and just before midnight I was feeling cramps in my abdomen, but I was so tired I went back to bed. Me leaving a voicemail for my boss saying I wasn't going to be in today :)

I was lying in bed on my right side when exactly at 1 am I both heard and felt a solid "pop." Warm liquid then started coming out. I immediately knew what it was, but I was so excited I thought maybe I had imagined it---maybe I had wet the bed and subconsciously came up with an excuse Ü. Between my mom, Carla, and Chanda, 14 babies had been born and no one had their water break by itself, so I wasn't expecting it! Anyway, I was on the toilet for 20 minutes and I could not stop laughing! I was so excited and scared, it must have been the adrenalin making me laugh. Even though I was laughing quite loud, Nate continued to sleep...I tried to wake him up by being flirty and pretending I wanted to kiss and make out---he rejected my advances :) Then I told him that my water broke and he said "wrap a towel around yourself and go back to sleep." He doesn't recall this remark and claims he made it in a sleep stupor :) Oh well, I would have gone back to sleep but I was having hard contractions 2 minutes apart. I did not want to have this baby at home, so I told Nate to get up because we were going to the hospital. I called my mom before we left; she was still awake in Arizona. She switched her flight to the first one in the morning and said she'd be here around 10am----I hoped she'd make it!
My mom got there in plenty of time

We made it to the hospital at 2:15am, the front desk nurse was a little rude. I am standing there having contractions and she asks me if I'm 'registered', I didn't know what that meant, so I told her, "Probably not. I didn't know when he was coming." She smartly responded that you can register anytime. It occurred to me that registering meant they had all my info on file, so I said, "I'm scheduled to be induced tomorrow, my info should be here." She flips through her chart and rudely remarks, "You mean WEDNESDAY." I wanted to snap back and say that it is 2am on Tuesday, so literally "tomorrow" IS Wednesday. She really didn't take me seriously until she discovered my water already broke. Then she admitted me. Luckily, she was the only sour nurse I encountered during our entire stay.The very first picture of Deacon!

They said I could have an epidural at anytime, so I said bring it on! The anesthesiologist had a good sense of humor. I wasn't scared or nervous for a huge needle to be inserted into my spine. His name was Richard (Greene), so I told him since he made the pain go away I was going to name our son after him Ü Plus, both grandpas are named Richard, so it would be 3 birds with one stone. By 4 am, I was pain-free and the contractions had slowed way down. They told me to try and get some sleep and that my doctor would stop by around 8am. I slept as best I could, mostly rested because I had to turn over every 30 min so my epidural was evenly distributed. Plus, I was too excited to sleep! There was a recliner in the room that rolled out to a bed so Nathan was able to get some sleep also. I couldn't believe it was almost time!
"Put me back in!"

Dr. Beard came around 8am. My contractions were slowing down so she ordered some pitocin to get them going again. She had about 4 other surgeries to attend to, so she said she'd be back sometime around one o'clock. Your heartbeat would drop slightly when I had contractions, so I was given oxygen to pass on to you. The doctor liked a method called 'rest & descend' which lets the contractions do most of the work in getting him down to the right positions.
Gross, but also very cool!

My mom took a cab from the airport ant arrived at 10:15 am. It helped ease my mind just by chatting. Nathan brought me cheerios for breakfast because I was starving! I hadn't eaten since 8pm the night before. We found out later that was a no-no. I wasn't supposed to eat or drink!
The color still hadn't come into your extremities yet

Even with the epidural, I could still feel a lot of pressure down there. It felt good to moan and complain, even though I didn't get much sympathy:) Nathan claimed it couldn't be that bad, even without my "weak sauce" (epidural). And my mom had nine kids without any meds...so I suffered alone! Honestly, it wasn't so bad. I did use up all my medicine and it took awhile for Dr. Greene to refill it. The contractions hurt until he gave me another "hit," and then I was better again. Around 1:30 the nurse (Susan) came in and said it was time to push and Dr. Beard would be up soon. She gave me some breathing instructions and we began. My mom held my left leg and Nathan my right. A med student (Jody) was also there. I pushed for about 30 minutes and I must have been doing good because the nurse had me stop. She didn't want the baby to come before the doctor did!
Deacon and Dr. Beard, who I think looks like Grandma Carol Gavin

So we waited 20 minutes until Dr. B showed up. But then Deac must have slipped back up inside, because we weren't as far as we thought and it was like starting over! Mom was great at keeping count for me so I would remember to breathe. Nathan was good support and helped me remember to keep my elbows up which helps me push more proactively. They brought a mirror in so I could see what was going on. I thought we were almost done because they had been cheering me on and saying good job. Then I look in the mirror and there is barely a 2 inch patch of your head showing! I did get to reach down and touch you. I was amazed at how soft and squishy your head was! It seemed so vulnerable. Maybe when you're older I will tell you about a quick procedure the doctor did and how she explained it to Nate, and then my joke about still being a virgin :) I pushed a few more contractions and finally----you arrived at 2:49 pm!!
You cried for about 10 seconds while the doctor suctioned out your mouth and nose. Then she did a flip with your body and you were suddenly on my tummy!The nurses immediately wrapped you in warm blankets. You were so calm. You didn't cry! My mom touched your hand and you immediately clutched her finger and held on sooo tight! You just looked around with your big eyes. I stared so hard at your face trying to decide who you looked like. I immediately noticed you had my chin. I hope you don't mind :) It looks good on you. Other than that, we didn't know who you took after. Proud Papa

An hour after your birth they wheeled me (and you in my arms) to our recovery room. They played a lullaby over the PA speakers in the hallway so everyone would know a new baby was coming through! I had some food waiting for me and I immediately scarfed it down and couldn't wait for the next meal. I had gone almost 24 hours without eating (except the forbidden Cheerios). Nathan and mom hung out for awhile, then went home. It was just you and me. I was trying to feed you but you were so tired. You just slept, you wouldn't wake up. I wasn't too worried, I had read that newborns don't have an appetite for a few days. But the nurses were shaking and scratching and tickling you; saying you HAD to eat! It was making me anxious and worried! We both got the hang of it by the time we left the hospital.
Grandma Gavin and Deacon

The second day, Nathan and my mom came back. We hung out and watched movies. We rented "Stranger that Fiction" with Will Farrel. Nate and I attended a breast feeding class. Your dad was so serious and attentive. I can tell he learned a lot because he is always helping us with positioning and other things.
Outfit from Grandma Holyoak, the hat didn't quite fit!

I must say I loved the hospital's food---and it was all healthy! I had great nurses too. It felt like concierge service. Dad got to go with you for your first bath and grandma videotaped it. I'm not going to lie: I didn't recognize you when you came back. Something about your hair and skin had me convinced you were switched with another baby. Even though Nate tried to convince me you never left his sight, I still checked both of you ankle tags and your cute little chin. It was definitely you. I remember changing your first diaper as a mom! (PS it was black as tar). We rested and relaxed for two days in the hospital and then it was time to go home.It was so weird leaving the hospital--the nurses had been watching over us for two days. Reminding us to feed you. They'd also check you temperature by pricking your heel. Now it was just our little family. We dressed you in a blue outfit from Grandma Holyoak. As we buckled you in the car, I almost expected someone to come running out of the hospital and say, "Wait! You're not qualified to take care of a human being!" Apparently you need a license to drive a car or to own a gun, but anyone can make a baby!It was good to be home with you. Grandma took care of our meals and cleaning the house. Oh, I almost forgot! Aunt Collette came to visit us in the hospital---twice! She brought you so many gifts! We joked that she is your third grandma.
It looks like you're crying---but that's actually a huge yawn.

Your first visitor after we got home were Kristin and Blair Randall (our neighbors). They made us a wonderful dinner. Melissa Dawes (neighbor) came over on Friday. Heather and Clifford Mills saw you on Sunday. WE took you on your first outing on Saturday---Grandma took us to "Wingers" restaurant. We drove Gma to the airport on Sunday night and on the way home you had your first run in with The Law...your dad got pulled over for speeding!
Deacon taking a nap with Grandma

Monday was our first day alone together; Dad had gone back to work. That day (April 16th) a national tragedy occurred at the Virginia Tech campus, it was sad. We had visitors that night from my friends Katie Zaremba and Nicole Nielsen. They brought dinner and gifts. On Tuesday (17th), Kristy and Jason Burgess (and their daughter Bryn) came to visit. Jason is in the EQ presidency with your dad and Kristy is my Visiting Teacher. Speaking of which, Kristy and Lindsey (my VT's) came over on Wednesday with food and a blanket for you (blue polka dot). We had our first outing together on Thursday when we went to the grocery store (you slept the whole time). Later that night, Grandma Hunt arrived and stayed until Monday morning. We had Aunt Collette over for dinner on Sunday. She and your Grandma Hunt went CrAZy shopping for you on Saturday---outfits, bedding, boppy, and more. You are loved!
Deacon and Grandma Hunt

1 comment:

TexasTwinsTwice said...

SO glad you wrote this all down. My memory is so terrible. That placenta picture was AMAZING! wow! Loved hearing all the details that i didn't know!